Chanticleer - A Pleasure Garden

Photo courtesy of Amy Sanderson
The Chanticleer estate dates from the early 20th-century, when land along the Main Line of the Pennsylvania Railroad was developed for summer homes to escape the heat of Philadelphia. Adolph Rosengarten, Sr., and his wife Christine chose the Wayne-St. Davids area to build their country retreat. The family's pharmaceutical firm would become part of Merck & Company in the 1920s.

The Rosengartens hired architect and former classmate Charles L. Borie to design the house, which was completed in 1913. Landscape architect Thomas Sears designed the terraces as extensions of the house. A 1924 addition converted the summer home into a year-round residence and the family moved here permanently.

Photo courtesy of Amy Sanderson
Mr. Rosengarten’s humor is evident in naming his home after the estate “Chanticlere” in Thackeray's 1855 novel The Newcomes. The fictional Chanticlere was “mortgaged up to the very castle windows” but “still the show of the county.” Playing on the word, which is synonymous with “rooster,” the Rosengartens used rooster motifs throughout the estate.

The garden opened to the public in 1993. There are 20 full-time staff, of whom two manage facilities
and 14 are gardeners and groundskeepers.

Opens to the public March 20th • Hours: 10-5 • Admission: $10 adults, under 13, free.


786 Church Road, Wayne, PA 19087
For more information, call 610.687.4163, or visit chanticleergarden.org